There are forums, websites, books and DVDs out there to help with horsemanship, stickwork and technique. It isn't massively accessible or easy to find, but it's there.I have found, however, that there is little support for those who want to progress as a playmaker or who want to excel in their specific positions. The resources I'm using so far is trawling through the rules (boring), watching a few games and using some of the information on www.pologringo.com.I'm sure there is no alternative to playing chukkas with expirenced players, but that's not currently an option in frosty England! Is there anyone that can point me in the direction of where to find theory based materials to help my game!? Any help people could give would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to start a Q&A for anyone that has specific questions on the topic
Dan

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although Hugh Evans would probably recommend Hugh Dawney's Playmaker Polo, you would do well in studying a little known book by William G Langdon, Jr. entitled Team-Play.Polo Manual. Additionally, As to Polo by William Cameron Forbes offers advice which, although over one hundred years old, is still applicable to today's polo. Both can be obtained through Amazon.com (occasionally.)
Why do you suppose there is so little available?
Because I can't find it. It's either not there or I'm looking in the wrong places. 

Any suggestions?
don´t loose your time and your money in videos, books and so on.
invest all your energy (and $$, and time) in stick and ball, chuks and a pro. all your time, all year around.
if it´s cold in UK come to Argentina for 4 months and you would return home with 2 hcp playing as fast as you never dream.
polo hasn´t so much strategies. long shots and run.
I disagree. I think the best model is a professional sports team. Since I am in the United States, I will use American football - the National Football League or NFL as we call it.

In the NFL, they don't just play all the time. They spend a great deal of time watching film, discussing plays, lifting weights, working with sports psychologists, etc. These are the best players in the world and they get value out of studying each other's technique. They get value out of seeing what they have done wrong. They get value out of seeing how others have succeeded in certain situations.

This is not only true at the highest level, it is true all the way down to high school sports. Drills are important. Practice is important. But you have to know what to drill and practice! I firmly believe the quickest way to get better is by making the practice time and game time as effective as possible by working on the right things, the right way.

The best way to do that is with a coach or instructor. But polo isn't like football. There aren't many good instructors and access to them is limited by time, money and location. Most of us can't just run off to Argentina for four months. We have families and jobs.

In the absence of a coach, we must resort to indirect means such as video and books from those coaches. What I think we should be working on is great resources, widely available, for those who don't have their own coach or instructor.

I also completely disagree that polo has no strategy! Long shots and run? Really??!!??
Dear Dan,
offcourse there is a strategy in polo and the books from Hugh Dawney "Polo Vision" and "Playmaker Polo" are really recommendable, but....
As beginner you should first practice your ball-feeling. You can't play any strategy if you can`t play together with your playmades because your only happy to hide but without giving the ball a specific direction. Later, when your more confidence in your hids you can think a bout strategy, how to play together with your teammates.
You want to play and progress, think always in the "diamant formation" and the "train" or sometimes called "chain", thats absolut principal and not so easy to play when you are a beginner, it sounds all easy in theory but do it.
For books have a look in www.amazon.com.
Regards
This discussion has seemed to have strayed from it's course. Dan specifically requested assistance in "where to find theory based materials to help my game." While it is true what Sandra says, that without the fundamentals it would be difficult to execute tactics and strategy, Dan comments, "there is little support for those who want to progress as a playmaker or who want to excel in their specific positions." This presupposes that Dan can hit well enough to now try to improve on "where to hit to" and "where he should position himself."
The idea of investing "all your time, all year around" or dropping your life in England to "come to Argentina for 4 months" is useless advice for Dan. It makes immense sense for the person who runs the polo school and collects the fees. The notion that polo in Argentina consists of "polo hasn´t so much strategies. long shots and run(sic)" is patently untrue and evinces a lack of knowledge from the person writing such nonsense. Here in Argentina, "good" players discuss strategy and tactics all the time. Along the sidelines of games in progress, over a maté around the stables, or at asados. Everyone seems to have an opinion. However, not everybody has the luxury of living a polo life in Argentina. Most have to seek help elsewhere. That is where the reading material comes in. Kim is absolutely correct in her assessment that study of a sport is essential. It is akin to a good, pick-up-game basketball player who plays well at the playground opposed to a team player who has been well coached. The streetball player has barely a chance in organized league play.

Dan, I can only repeat what I wrote earlier. Check out those books. If you are looking for a DVD or video, try Tom Goodspeed's video entitled Strategy from his polo collection.
Thanks for getting to the point. That really was helpful.
conozco varios jugadores que son unos perfectos estrategas , sobre todo en las charlas de los palenques, pero no le pueden pegar 2 veces seguido a la bocha, andan perdidos por la cancha peleando con unos zocos de los que se acuerdan los sábados a la mañana antes de la práctica...
estoy seguro que cualquier jugador que se inicia la mejor inversión que puede hacer es venirse algún tiempo a la argentina, taquear todos los días, jugar prácticas y si puede...alguna copita. probar caballos, detectar que tipo de caballo es el que mejor se adapta a su juego y a partir de allí comenzar a sacar conclusiones.
deberá buscar algún club o alguna organización que lo reciba de acuerdo a su nivel - desconozco cual puede ser ya que no es mi negocio -
si quieres aprender ski debes trasladarte a alguna montaña con nieve, preferiblemente es austria o colorado, si quieres bucear debes viajar al caribe (o algo parecido) si quieres cazar alguno de los big 5 tienes que ir al africa, etc. etc. si quieres aprender rapidamente a jugar polo (con todo lo que ello implica: cuidar ponies, aprender equitación de polo, estrategia de juego, etc:)tienes que ir a argentina. es lo más práctico, lo más efectivo y lo más económico que puedes hacer.
ahora: si prefieres aprender polo leyendo un manual o mirando TV...es tu elección... chau , espero tengas un buen día. el mío no pudo haber sido mejor...y no precisamente por el censo.., je, je
We understand Mauricio and I'm sure you're right, but we're just trying to find the most practical way given our situation!
To those who are interested:

www.polopony.com have started adding valuable play-by-play footage of what the pros are doing, I've found it really helpful; this is found at www.polopony.com/best-moves/ . They include text explaining what the pro's are doing and how it helps them. There aren't many yet as it only started in September, but they promise more soon.

Dan
Good videos at polopony.com. Looks like there is more to it than just long shots and run.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Hugh Evans (PCW Editor).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service