There are forums, websites, books and DVDs out there to help with horsemanship, stickwork and technique. It isn't massively accessible or easy to find, but it's there.I have found, however, that there is little support for those who want to progress as a playmaker or who want to excel in their specific positions. The resources I'm using so far is trawling through the rules (boring), watching a few games and using some of the information on www.pologringo.com.I'm sure there is no alternative to playing chukkas with expirenced players, but that's not currently an option in frosty England! Is there anyone that can point me in the direction of where to find theory based materials to help my game!? Any help people could give would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to start a Q&A for anyone that has specific questions on the topic
Dan

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no creo que puedas llevarla en el aire como adolfito en el video o redondear adelante de todos como hilario.
además, para que querés conocer la "estrategia del juego" si la mayoría le tiene terror a los pechazos o a pegar back del lado de montar ?
primero lo primero
Dan - I am reading Playmaker Polo right now. Have you read it? It has a lot of what you (and I) seem to be looking for. Most of it is information I know, but either organized differently or explained differently. I don't know about you but I find the big ahas come from little details or connecting the dots differently.

Here is one example. I was watching video of a high goal match - may have been the Argentine Open. I notice that at that level, the players rarely bump or hook like we do in the lower goal games. It looks more like a soccer game. I asked a former seven goal player why that is. He said it is because they know to go on to the next play. I know what go to the next play means. But it wasn't until I read something in Playmaker Polo that I understood how that translated.

Dawnay suggests that the 1 and 2 should always harass the defender, even if they know they can't win the play but that the 3 and 4 should never ever commit to a play unless they are certain they can win it. If they can't, they should anticipate and move on to the next play to hopefully pick up the back shot Or be in better position to defend.

Suddenly a concept that had been fuzzy for me became clear. Now, while I may not play 26 goal polo, I understand what it looks like to go the next play and I can work on it. To me, that is the value of video, words, practice and games all used together as a learning tool.

So back to the book, it isn't the big stuff I find valuable, it is little things. That said, the illustrations are almost impossible for me to follow and the acronyms he works so hard to force into the book are complete rubbish. They don't help, they make it very cluttered and difficult for no good reason. But still, worth the money (it's an expensive book), if you are a -1 to 1 goal player.

What I still find lacking is more detail. It is helpful to think of the job of the 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4) as being X, but show me EXACTLY what that looks like. That is the sort of resource and the level of detail I need. Broad stroke doesn't help me much at this point.
Dan
i appreciate your situation , having been in it , and perhaps continuing to be in it.
i was lucky enough to be given a book called Marco on Polo, which my wife is amazed how much i can read and re read.
its got it all and lots on tactics. i cant recomend it enough

when i was unable to ride i have found a footmallet great. if you have land near by use it on a bike with polo ball or mini soccer ball .. it all helps

good luck

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Hugh Evans (PCW Editor).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service